Friday, December 08, 2006

Bizarro Allergies

When I am in a masto phase like I am now, it's downright stupifying what I'll have an allergy attack for. Just now, I was feeling fairly ok, and I went and brushed my teeth with the almost used up toothpaste I've been using for weeks now I guess. I immediately got completely congested and slammed with body aches and bone pain. Coughing now.

I've noticed a reaction to hairspray I've used for years, a drink of orange soda, almost anything, for gosh sakes. It's ridiculous.

This time, I'm having a hell of a time sleeping. The fatigue and constant itching is wearing on me. All I can do is try to keep myself occupied to keep my mind off of the itching, but by not doing anything physical because I not only have zero energy, but even minimal activity causes the chemical cascade to begin and my world falls apart.

I had no choice but to get outside the other day and mow the smallish front yard. I know, I know, it could have killed me, but it had to be done and I had no money to pay anyone. I was very careful and dressed fully covered, kept my medical mask on, drank tons of water, and pumped myself full of H1 and H2 blocker and Singulair and Prevacid. I had to take a break about every twenty feet, so it took me 4 hours. Thankfully, a neighbor came and took over, so I managed to survive. God, the pain afterwards was almost unbearable, but I still have a few Darvocets and I can afford to get them refilled. I wasn't able to sleep, both from the pain and the congestion and the labored breathing and coughing. It took about 48 hours to get back to awful.

The house is a holy mess now though, and that stresses me. Family matters is a stressor right now. No matter how I try to tell people that I cannot be exposed to stress, it doesn't seem to register. I understand that I don't look all that ill or disabled, except when I'm in respiratory distress, so it's easy to dismiss it or forget it. But, a good hard look will tell anyone that I'm not well, too. And, when I feel like this, I even slack on what little medicine I have left and so I just feel worse.

Oh, pshaw. It's not their fault.

I need a freakin' keeper.

No comments: