Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Mind Meltdown

I found this via Wikipedia entry for mastocytosis.

To me, this is the most devastating, foul, annoying, and soul destroying symptom of masto that I suffer from. And I suffer from it greatly. Having been a professional analyst with a very high IQ (no brag, just fact... never did me that much good!), and now being unable to spell some of the simpliest words or barely write a coherent sentence, it just kills me.

The one month I had on Gastrocrom, I experienced a great alleviation of this symptom. What right do they have to charge $680 for one months dosage of this medication!!!!?????

I asked my pharmacist, and he told me that you can buy a pound of cromolyn sodium for about $150!!! The raw powder. He recommends I check with a formulating pharmacy to see if I can get it encapsulated locally, as it used to be available.

UPDATE: I've found out in my recent research that 200 milligrams of Gastrocrom four times daily is NOT comparable to the 5 milligrams of cromolyn sodium in Nasalcrom. I had misunderstood the 5 millimeters of the oral solution in the vials for milligrams. Still, Nasalcrom does seem to help the rhinitis, so I will continue to use it. I guess that explains why it doesn't help the stomach and cognitive problems so much.

1: Psychosom Med. 1986 Jul-Aug;48(6):437-47.
Related Articles, Links
Mixed organic brain syndrome as a manifestation of systemic mastocytosis.
Rogers MP, Bloomingdale K, Murawski BJ, Soter NA, Reich P, Austen KF.

Systemic mastocytosis is a disease characterized by an excessive accumulation of mast cells, and associated with skin lesions, flushing, diarrhea, tachycardia, and psychiatric manifestations. In order to define more clearly the psychiatric manifestations, ten patients with this disorder underwent unstructured psychiatric interviews and a battery of psychologic testing. Both revealed a pattern of cognitive and affective changes in the majority of these patients, best categorized as an atypical or mixed organic brain syndrome. The cognitive changes consisted of diminished attention and memory, and the affective changes of anger, irritability, and, to a lesser extent, depression. These manifestations fluctuated with the level of disease activity, and appeared in some cases to respond to histamine antagonists and disodium cromoglycate, medications used to control the excessive mast cell activity. It is important for psychiatrists to be aware that mental status changes can represent psychiatric manifestations of mastocytosis, a readily treatable medical disorder.PMID: 3749421 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

1 comment:

DebbiePlaysWellWithOthers said...

How are you coping in 2013 ? I hope you are having the best luck ever with symptoms. My journey with this diagnosis is just beginning after a lifetime of what I referred to as quirks for so many tears. Have you found a support group that is now active?

Regards,
Debbie